I graduated. It actually happened. I walked across the stage (gym steps, actually), didn't trip despite the stiletto heels, shook hands with the Mayor, the President of the college, and some "official looking guy" as my mom tagged him in the photos she took. They handed me a diploma. I did it. I'm done.
But I don't feel done. I'm just not that kind of person. I'm not the sort who gets really excited about something. Maybe that makes me old. I'm home now and glad to be working again. I don't like not having money. I'm looking forward to teaching the three classes I'm offering this Summer. I'm offering two writing classes and a philosophy class to people (mostly homeschoolers) in my circle. My mom calls it freelance teaching, and if I do end up in grad school some day, it will look good on my application. But I don't know. What I really want to do is get my writing career off the ground, but since I've been home that last thing I've wanted to do was sit down and write. Maybe it feels too much like school, I don't know. This happened last Summer, too, but it made more sense then because I didn't really want to start anything when I had to return to school in the Fall. I think that's where the not feeling done is affecting me. Being graduated won't sink in until Fall when I don't have to return to school or classes. I'm looking forward to it. But right now it's frustrating. My last week at school when I was too busy studying for finals and putting together my creative writing portfolio, all I wanted to do was keep writing. I had so many ideas for my novel, and now they're just gone. Or not gone, but not at the fore of my interests. It's quite frustrating.
That's not why I'm writing this, though. This post is a good-bye. A "the end" as the title suggests. I've moved far beyond Century now, and it's time to start the next chapter of my life. This doesn't mean I'm going to disappear. I'll be around. In a year, look for my name in the local bookstores, keep your eyes open for a brand new website that will be helping me to promote the classes I'll continue to freelance teach, watch for pictures of the adventures my horse and I embark on. She's coming home this week and I've got plans for us, so many plans. But those plans aren't for a blog beyond Century. They're for a life beyond Albion—a life I intend to live, not write about. And so I bid you good-bye, farewell, good luck, but also a thank you for traveling with me on this journey; I wrote this blog for you after all (when I remembered to write) and you've been a wonderful audience. And so once more, I thank you and bid you farewell.
The End.
27 May 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment