28 January 2011

Lock-down and Fire drills

The seasonal flu has struck Albion College. We had the same problem last semester, yet apparently it wasn't as big of a deal. As of Wednesday, 100 people on campus were diagnosed with the flu; last night, Student Health Services brought in the CDC and were advised to cancel all college activities. I didn't have classes today, but my lesson was canceled. Basically, the college is in quarantine.

So far, I'm not sick. My hall has been hit, but Alesha and my isolated little corner is still safe. I was thinking about this last night and I'm wondering if it's because we haven't spent much time in the dinning hall. Alesha is off board, so she never goes in there. I'm only going for dinner on Mondays and Wednesdays. The rest of the time I'm never near Baldwin, so it doesn't make any sense for me to go there. In the meantime, I'm upping my vitamin C intake and I'm avoiding sick people.

On top of that my building's fire alarm is either broken or some idiot has decided that there's nothing better for sick people than to stand out in the cold while an alarm blares. Last semester we had one fire drill, but I was elsewhere so didn't get to experience it. In the last twenty-four hours we've had two fire alarms. Just a bit ago the alarm went off again, but only long enough for me to consider whether I really wanted to go outside or not. Alesha's boyfriend thinks that there's probably something wrong with the alarms and it's being fixed. I hope so. I'd rather not become a cynic of the alarms. Maybe alarms are like smoke detectors, when the batteries die, the alarm just keeps going off.

On a different note, classes are going well. I like only having classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. Last Wednesday, we spent our Great Lakes Lit class at the Nature Center making journals. My creative writing class is evoking childhood memories that are actually turning into decent poems. My history of the philosophy of science class is introducing me to completely new philosophy. I sit in the class and just listen because I'm not fully understanding what's going on. I'm not sure what to think of it. I"m used to going into a class and knowing something about the subject. In this class, the names are familiar, but the text and ideas that go with them is completely different. I'm also having trouble understanding what I'm reading which is meaning that I'm not talking as much in class. Yet another weird thing for me. I'm kind of enjoying it though.

My final class is Victorian Britain. I didn't know a lot about the time period, but the more I read the more I realize that I actually have some experience with the time period. For one, the American Girl doll that I have has stories set in the Victorian era, albeit in America not England. Also, I was doing family history and I was able to track my great grandfathers life back to England during the end of the Victorian period. We also got to watch Blackadder in the last class. Rowan Aitkenson and Hugh Laurie should do more stuff together.

The television is calling, and with my hall and friends sick, my room seems like the best place to be right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment