| from the office door of the one of the librarians |
Yesterday, I was introduced to the last two new classes I had on my schedule: Ethics & Public Policy and the Faulkner Seminar. Ethics was first. My professor is a small Indian woman named Bindu Mahdok. I can't explain why, but she's exactly the sort of person I picture as a philosophy professor. I'm looking forward to this class, because all eighteen of us taking it are either philosophy or poli-sci majors. There should be some really interesting discussions, if the first class was anything to go by.
Normally, Tuesday's philosophy class will run for two hours, providing plenty of time for discussion and lecture. Plus we're also supposed to do two presentations during the semester, and these two hours will allow enough time for that, as well. This week, though, the two hour class was shifted to Thursday, so yesterday's schedule was what I was used to. Still, despite having all this time between my philosophy class and the Brit Lit class, I don't think I really got any work done. The funny thing is I'm not entirely sure why I didn't get anything done, because I don't remember doing anything else. Huh. Weird.
Speaking of 'weird,' thanks to Beowulf, I learned that 'weird' derives from the Old English word wyrd which means fate. How 'bout that? I actually learned something and it's only day three!
Anyway, back to day two. I failed to mention the interesting adventure I had before philosophy. (This is what happens when I try to recreate a lost journal entry. Things end up all over the place, kind of like oral story-telling. The speaker's telling the story, gets to a part and realizes that he forgot to say something significant earlier, so randomly he changes directions, adds the piece of importance, and then goes on from there. I hope you're enjoying the rollercoaster ride.) Remember how I said that I was excited because I had two classes in the same room? How my history and philosophy classes are both in Robinson 202? Well, I lied, only I didn't know I lied until yesterday morning. I got to Robinson 202 early and ended up curling up on a couch and taking a short nap before class started. I was just about to go into the classroom, when a fellow student showed up and said that her government class had been moved to Robinson 202 at the same time my philosophy class was supposed to be in the same room. I felt obliged to double check. Well, I was half right. My class is in room 202, just in Vulgamore 202, not Robinson. Oops.
And, back to after Brit Lit: the long awaited Faulkner Seminar. Of all the professors I've had so far, most of them haven't really struck a cord. I like my Brit Lit teacher, Ian MacInnes. Imagine a book worm who looks like he belongs in the special collections section of a library then stick a green cardigan-disguised-as-a-sport-coat and a badly tied tie on him, and hit the fast-forward button whenever he speaks then you'll have Prof. MacInnes. He's a lot of fun. I don't by any means dislike any of my teachers, but previously I wasn't attached to any of them. Then I met my Faulkner professor. The moment she began talking, I knew I wanted to take another class from her. How to describe her . . . she would clearly rather be reading a book than anything else, she doesn't like to lecture, but she loves to share her passions with people who will take the time to listen to her especially if they're interested in her passions, as well (and Faulkner is definitely one of her passions). She's quiet. I couldn't imagine her teaching a bigger class than the six or so students in this seminar. But there's something about the way she speaks that makes everyone want to be quiet and listen. But she's scattered, planless. Writing all this, I don't really know what about her makes me like her so much. I just do. Homework-wise, though, she's a bit ruthless. We have to read Was and The Fire and the Hearth by tomorrow (Thursday). A hundred and twenty-four pages. Yikes. What am I doing here?
I'm not this fancy, but this is dressage.
The last thing that occurred yesterday was a welcome BBQ at the barn. The equestrian club was throwing a get-to-know-us for the first-year students who are interested in the teams or just in horses. It was fun, and very informative. The hunt seat team (jumping a horse over colorful fences without knocking anything over), which I wanted to be on, has shows every single weekend. The dressage team (imagine ballet, now imagine a horse doing it) both needs people and only shows three or so times a year. This is my first semester here. I'm just learning where things are and how things are done. Plus, I'm an English/philosophy major, which means nothing but reading and papers. For all that I love jumping, and love the craziness of a hunt seat show, I think more craziness isn't really what I need right now. Besides, I do love the elegance and prestige of dressage almost as much as the action of the jumping world. Basically, as long as I can be on a horse and have an opportunity to make nationals, I'm happy.
Now, time to dive back into Faulkner...and Beowulf...and ethics...and Latin American history...*sigh* Good-bye free time.
No comments:
Post a Comment