26 August 2010

Social life: 2?

I have decided that I really like my philosophy professor. I wasn't sure when I left the class on Tuesday, but after today's class, I'm sure. Today's class proceeded how I predicted. It went for two hours, and it was full of discussions, and not stupid discussion, but really interesting, where-has-the-time-gone discussions. We nearly talked through our break. When we returned to class, the professor actually had to tell us to be quiet so she could talk about everything she wanted to discuss today. Yay! We're going to go back to the topic of extrinsic/intrinsic values when we meet again on Tuesday. I can hardly wait!

I ate all three meals with some mixture of the equestrian girls today. I don't talk a lot, yet, but that's not a horrible thing. I like just sitting and listening. Of course, the downside to this new-found social life is that I'm suddenly struggling to get all my homework done. When I ate alone, I would be in the dining hall for maybe 15 minutes, giving me plenty of time to curl up in a chair and read. Now I can spend up to an hour there just listening and enjoying their company. Hence, I'm here in the library at 9:30, instead of back in my dorm getting ready for bed. Oh well, the weekend will be here soon, and most people are from Michigan so they go home for the weekend. I should have plenty of time to get ahead for next week, hopefully with time left over to be lazy in the evenings. We'll see.

. . .

As I was sitting in the library absorbing the reading for my history class tomorrow morning, a guy sitting at another table was talking to people about parties, alcohol, and other things that I know aren't legal on this campus. He ended by commenting on how he wasn't doing very well in his classes. Hmm. I wonder why?

I knew that there would be parties in college. I knew there would be stupid people who drank too much and shouted obscenities at most unreasonable hours of the night. It's something that comes with the whole college experience. But I have to say that as I was crossing the Quad from the library to my dorm and thinking about this party atmosphere, I couldn't help but smile when I saw a group of guys and girls running barefoot across the Quad, dodging sprinklers while playing Ultimate Frisbee in the dark (they even had a light-up frisbee). It's good to know that there are at least a few people here who can enjoy innocent fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment