| The stairs for the Library Stacks: six tiers of books squished into three floors. |
Then Monday came around and it was the beginning of week two. Week two? Only week two? How is that possible? I feel like I have been here forever! (Forever in a good sense, mind you, not in the when-will-it-be-winter-break way.) Monday did bring something out of the ordinary, though. In the evening I went to the first equestrian club meeting where I learned that try-outs for the teams are on Thursday (tomorrow now that I'm finally writing this) at 5:30. I also found out that there will be three dressage shows this school year (actually five shows, but in only three different locations and only three different weekends). While I am a little disappointed that I won't be around the show atmosphere more often, I don't regret my decision to only try out for the dressage team. The hunt seat team that I wanted to go out for has ten shows this school year, and that may not sound like a lot, but it is. Maybe next year I'll go out for the hunt seat team. We'll see. I may not need to, though, because the campus barn puts on jumping shows every month and you can rent a college horse to compete in them. Next year, if I manage to make enough money to afford to keep my horse here, I'll be able to show her. That would be really nice, though I don't know what my horse would think about that.
Tuesday brought another unusual event: the review for the writing competency exam I have to take in order to remain a Junior. If I fail, I'll be demoted to Sophomore until I pass it. It's nothing out of the ordinary, really. It's similar to the essays I had to write for colleges where they give you a list of topics and you pick one to talk about. I just wish that it wasn't on the same day as try-outs. Tomorrow's going to be a busy day.
And now, just like that, I'm caught up. Today nothing especially interesting happened. I have decided that I rather hate my philosophy text book. The writer is horrible! He keeps using massively big words to say things that he easily could've used a smaller word to say the same thing just as well. He repeats things more often than necessary in the same sentence, and he's over all very confusing, and that's saying somethng, coming from me. I'm the one who enjoyed reading Kant who is determined one of the most confusing philosophers out there. But with Kant, once you understand his language, it's not too bad whereas with this Richard Ellis, the deeper into the book I get, the more confused I become. I have a lot of respect for books, so you can understand the seriousness of my frustration when I say that I nearly flung this textbook against a wall! (I was in the library, though, so there weren't any walls close enough for me to fling it, and there were people around trying to study.) The good news is that there are only two more chapters (or so) and then that will be it! Hooray!
Okay, I'm done ranting. The interesting thing that occurred today was something called Briton Bash. All the clubs associated with the school set up tables and try to recrut you. Naturally, I signed up for the Equestrian Club, but I also was enticed by the Dance Association, which is trying to get a Swing Dance Club started. I said I'd do what I could to help, because I do love swing dancing. I was coerced by a classmate into signing up for St. Jude's booth (though I figured it was for a good cause) and was nearly drawn into the First Responders by one of my hall-mates. That one was easier to say no to, because it was more for biology and pre-med majors. Still, Miss Mackenzie can be very convincing. I remember choosing to sign up for the Intramurals Club, which is a group of people who get together and play sports. And finally, I'm going to be a Big Sister! There was a representative from Big Brothers, Big Sisters there and I've always been curious about it, so I decided to just go for it and sign-up. I'll let you know how that goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment